In any field, having a professional mentor can help individuals develop and advance their careers. According to Melissa Heisler, life & business coach, women in the healthcare industry would greatly benefit from a professional mentor. Heisler says “healthcare professionals face increased stress and would benefit from mentors”. She says a mentor will help one feel “they aren’t alone”. Heisler says utilizing a professional mentor has helped shape some of the greatest athletes like Michael Jordan. Heisler says for example, “Michael Jordan had six coaches to help him be the one of the greatest basketball players”. While in the typical mentoring relationship, one participant has more experience, skill, knowledge than the other. Many strong mentoring relationships provide an opportunity for both parties to learn from each other through the development of a respectful partnership. Heisler says there are two different kinds of mentors; a professional development mentor and personal mentor; someone who can help you handle the “work life” balance is essential. These findings are supported by a survey conducted by the American Society for Training Development.
According to ASTD 75% of executives point to mentoring as playing a key role in their careers. Experts believe mentoring programs can be an integral part of an executives career advancement particularly women. Retention and productivity are often the result of a successful mentoring program.
The top five reasons to be a mentor according to US News & World Report are::
- Learn new things: Every generation has their strengths, and a mentor relationship can be a great way to learn from one another.
- Share your knowledge with a young professional: Helping others may allow you to avoid “pitfalls” in your own career.
- Develop leadership and management skills: Experts believe mentoring programs can be essential in an executives career advancement particularly women.
- Give back to your industry: Mentoring young professionals can then fine tune their skills and improve their knowledge of the industry.
- Develop a new relationship: By cultivating a new mentor relationship you can add new connections to your network.
Learn more about PWH's mentoring program: http://www.mypwh.org/Default.aspx?pageId=1132498